Thursday, August 13, 2015

My Top GO-TO Protective Styles and Hair I Use/ Plus Big Chop Update!

Good day ladies, today I would like to share my top go-to protective styles and the hair that I use for these styles. For those who are not aware, protective styling is great when you want to let your hair grow, get a break from your daily hair routine, protect your hair from harsh weather,  less maintenance, or when you just want to give your hair a break. I have been doing protective styling a lot since the beginning of this year. I did my third big chop October 2014. Because of the winter season approaching I decided to start protective styling to start my new hair growth journey. There are many protective styles our there to choose from, but these styles below are my absolute favorite and easy to do.....check them out!



Havana Twists

               I'm a true lover of big twists/hair and if you are you'll love Havana twists. These twists are thick and chunky looking but very light weight depending on which type of hair you use. The method to installing havana twists is quite simple you can do it yourself. For Havana Twists my hair of choice is Cuban Twist Hair from Shake-n-Go. This hair was made in heaven. Not only is this hair chunky and perfect for havana twist...its very light weight. For my havana twist I use two strands of hair and do my twist big. The packs come with a handful of hair...wish it came with more. At my local beauty supply store its $5.99 per pack. This hair comes in 12 and 16 inches and 6 different colors.
 










   



















Marley Twists

              Now Marley twists are similar to Havana twist but are smaller in size. Marley twist has a similar look to havana twists and can be done using the same method for installation. There are so many styles to do with your Marley twists. Done correctly it will last you 4-12 weeks for protective styling. My go-to hair form Marley twists is the Marley Braid Hair also by Shake n Go. This hair doesn't have a smell, easy to wash, and easy to separate into smaller hair pieces if necessary. This hair also comes in 12 and 16 inches, 6 different colors to choose from, and is also $5.99 per pack.


















Senegalese Twists


             Senegalese twists are also awesome for styling. With these twists I love to curl the ends with perm rods for a natural twist look. These twist can be done thin or thick. Also plenty of different styles you can do with senegalese twists. My go-to hair for these twist is Afro Twist Braid from Janet Collection. This hair is great....very soft, easy to separate, doesn't have a smell. I was able to get this hair in 20 inches of length at my local beauty supply store. Because of the length it was $9.99 per pack. One warning with this hair, once it has been dipped in hot water it won't revert back to it's regular form.



   
















Faux Locs

                      When I first saw this style I fell in love. I first tried this protective style early 2014 when I had my sides shaved. This style is awesome but comes with a price. It takes what seems like forever to achieve this style. The wrapping over your hair or twists takes up time. Recently I done this style for my baby shower and it took me 5 hours and I did mine big. So if you want medium to small faux locs be prepared for a long day of twisting a wrapping. I don't do this style as often as I like to due to the time it takes, this style can last up to 4-8 weeks or more if you like. It might be on the heavy side depending on how big or thick you want it and because of the extra hair. I love the fact that you can mesh different color hair well with this style. My go-to hair to for this protective style is also the Shake N Go Marley Braid Hair. Due to the wrapping process you will need extra hair....I brought 7 packs for mine.


 

















So there you go ladies...four great styles to choose from. The hairs listed are sold in your local beauty supply stores or online. I wash and reuse hair that I do these styles with so it is cost effective for my pockets. There are plenty of videos on You tube to learn how to achieve each style. Remember these are only a few. You have more protective styling such as crochet braids, box braids, weaves and more....Good luck Ladies!

My Big Chop Update
                     
                        Here is a peak of my growth progress since my third big chop back in October 2014...I must say doing protective styling has aided in my hair growth due to less manipulation to my hair throughout this process. I have just been letting it grow!




                            

No comments:

Post a Comment