Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tips for Healthy Hair Growth for Natural Hair

Hey Ladies! Wanted to share these tips for Healthy Hair Growth that I included in my natural hair care regime.

CO-WASHING INSTEAD OF SHAMPOOING

When I first transitioned from relaxed to natural hair, I noticed that my natural hair has its own natural oils. When you shampoo your hair, you are cleaning your hair but it also strips away your natural oils. At times when I want to change my hair style instead of shampooing I co-wash. It helps to maintain the natural oils, keeps hair conditioned and soft. I only shampoo my hair once a month. For co-washing I use VO5 conditioner. They come in so many scents, its affordable and they smell great. I usually buy them when they are on sale for 99 cents.





DEEP CONDITIONING

It's essential for you to deep condition your hair for healthy hair in general. When I shampoo my hair I will use a deep conditioner and sit under my head dryer in low heat for about 15-20 minutes. I use Organic Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner which costs $14.99 for the 33.8oz large bottle at my local beauty supply store. I also use Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner which is $10 at Target.
Both are great deep conditioners.

















AVOID CHEMICAL COLORING

This past December I had to chop off almost 3 inches of hair due to color I had at my ends. The color at my ends was starting to become brittle and very dry. I also noticed the few times I straightened my hair that my ends lost it's natural curl due to the color I had at the ends. I did some research and came across Henna hair dye. Henna hair dye is "Chemical Free" and it is a natural conditioner for hair as well. There are a variety of colors and you can choose from a creme or powder substance. Allow the Henna process takes longer than a chemical color would, the Henna hair dye is much more beneficial for your hair and you won't have to worry about breakage from chemical coloring. 








TRIM YOUR HAIR WHEN NEEDED

I must admit my first year of being natural, I never trimmed my hair. I strongly believe the growth that I achieved in my first year of being natural could have been much more longer than it was. My second year of being natural I trimmed my hair a few times and noticed that my hair grew back longer and faster. I recently cut off another 2 inches of hair after cutting the color out and also cut my hair in layers. I basically gave my hair a fresh start for the New Year Year. I advise you trimmed your split ends and trim when needed to maintain healthier and stronger hair.

Hope you enjoyed these tips, if you have any questions or would like to share some of the products you use or ways that you contribute to your hair growth, feel free to leave comments or you can email me at rhonda.neysmith@gmail.com!



No comments:

Post a Comment